In addition to weapon upgrades, The Last of Us Part 1 includes Training Manuals. These provide different skills and upgrades for a variety of things. With how much of an edge they can offer, it’s a good idea to seek them out whenever possible.
There are 12 Training Manuals in the game, one for each chapter. Here are all of their locations, along with what they upgrade.
- Shiv: Sharpening – Found in the bar of Bill’s Town. Increases the number of times a shiv can be used by one.
- Health: Splinting – Located just above the first garage in Pittsburgh. Increases the amount of health recovered when using a health item.
- Shiv: Reinforcement – Found in the hotel lobby safe in Pittsburgh. Increases the number of times a shiv can be used by one. Stacks with the “Shiv: Sharpening” Manual, thus giving you two additional uses of a shiv.
- Melee: Knots – After clearing the basement in the Pittsburgh hotel, this Manual is found in the corridors. It improves the durability of bladed weapons.
- Molotov: Construction – Found in the apartment where you first meet Henry and Sam. It increases the blast radius of Molotov Cocktails.
- Bomb: Containment – Located in the sewers of the Suburbs (right after obtaining the Shorty). It increases the blast radius of Nail Bombs.
- Melee: Techniques – Found in the attic of the brick house in the Suburbs. It improves the durability of bladed weapons.
- Smoke: Chemistry – Located at Tommy’s Dam. Look for a workbench near the generators – the Manual is to the left. It improves the duration of Smoke Bombs.
- Health: Sterilization – Located at the University next to the monkey courtyard in a building. Further increases the amount of health recovered from a healing item.
- Molotov: Deployment – Located behind a door that requires a shiv to open in the University’s Science Building. Further increases the blast radius of Molotov Cocktails.
- Smoke: Shaping – When playing as Joel and near David’s Lakeside Resort, go to the motel and look for a door to open with a shiv. The Manual is located inside and improves the duration of Smoke Bombs.
Bomb: Shrapnel – Located after venturing past the Bus Depot and Triage, on top of a semi-truck. Further increases the blast radius of Nail Bombs.
For more details on the locations of all Training Manuals, check out LunarGaming Guides’ video below. The Last of Us Part 1 is available for PS5 with a PC release coming later. Check out our official review here.